My mom used to call me Picky Vikki becuase I was so picky with my food - I wouldn't eat anything! I wonder if my daughter will be the same as me!
So, my sweet little bug is just over 5 months and a week ago she let us know if was time for big people food!! So, I started out with rice cereal like "they" tell us all to do. She took to it right away and loves it, prefering it with my milk rather than water. I didn't think that would mean she's a picky eater, but that combined with a few other things is making it hard to know what to feed her!
Super Baby Foods(SBF) - harder than I thought! So as one of her first foods, they recommend bananas, avocados or sweet potatoes. Well we don't have avocados or sweet potataoes here and Pete is allergic to bananas (mildly - his mouth starts itching). We decided not to test bananas here where we don't have access to Western medicine. So what to do?! Also on the "before 6 month" list in SBF are cooked fruits like peaches, nectarines, plums etc. So I tried peaches, but I don't think they were ripe - she didn't like them. Then I tried mangoes (a 6 month food) and she made the saddest, most disgusted face a baby could make. I'm not trying that any time soon again.
Luckily we are leaving the country soon for a conference so I can try bananas in Dubai so if she has a reaction I have a hospital to take her to. I can also try avocados and sweet potatoes. So, until then, I would love your advice on the following questions:
1. What do you do if your baby doesn't like a food you give her? What if she doesn't like ANY food you give her!
2. What were the best foods your little one liked the beginning?
7 comments:
Well, I was a picky eater as you know and Bryce was too. I had to feed him foods I did not like. His favorite was chicken and apples. He was not the best eater. Applesauce is good. They say to start with sweet foods first since they do not taste as bad. Another one is squash. Pears are pretty tasty! I mixed his food with cereal. I, also did one bite of cereal then one bite of baby food. I just played around to see what worked. Love ya! Olivia- you come by the pickyness rightly. I will tell you stories later.
Well if she takes after her mommy and daddy, what she probably really wants are some Skittles, a little Starbucks Sumatra coffee, and don't forget the Ranch dressing!
Sweet potatoes were very popular at my house along with all kinds of fruit - apricots, pears, peaches, etc.
Gauge is still picky! And yet sometimes he likes things and sometimes he doesn't. Very goofy. He gets burnt out I guess :) Applesauce he loves, I also mixed half of the spoon in fruit and half in veggies like applesauce and carrots. I know sounds gross but heck he would eat green beans as long as there was a little fruit on the spoon first! I agree with everyone else, just keep trying :) I found out until they are like one it's all just for introducing and learning not really calories...Good luck!
Anna Kate loves pears...they are a fav for her. Also even if her first bite of something brings a sad face, I found that after the third or fourth she actually really likes it. Maybe it is just the new taste that is surprising
Charlie basically lived his first year on sweet potatoes, bananas and yogurt. Ellie lived on fruits and yogurt. So at about 6 months i started giving both my kiddos yogurt and they LOVED it they have both eaten at least one serving everyday since then. I had mixed advice about giving them yogurt that young, but they both loved it and were always fine. You can also try mashed potatoes. I did not force foods on my kids, but I did introduce them multiple times because their taste buds are developing and changing so I found that a food they rejected one week the LOVED the next week. Also with Ellie she would NOT eat veggies so I had to sneak them in by mixing them with fruit, lots of applesauce. Love you so much!
hi friend! i ditto the comments on squash (ana's fave) and yogurt. a lot of dr's say to hold off on dairy til a year, but we went with it a bit earlier than that and ana was fine. my nugget still makes a strange face now & then and sometimes they are just learning the texture & how to eat solids instead of milk :) i want to hear an update on how livvy is doing! and you, of course! love you!
My only advice is heed the advice from the Dr on no Eggs until after a year... and when your in Dubai get some Benadryl you can take home with you.. I think that's spelled wrong.. Lucy loved trying new things.. but she is picky now... LOVES APPLE SAUCE, and Bananas They do the same thing to Dustin's mouth by the way. She did just fine with them..Love you friend..
Post a Comment