Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Problem with Santa Claus

Well, here's the deal...

We got a text on our phone tonight from the "Americanized" grocery store here in our city (which by the way, we are very thankful for because they supply our habits of mac n' cheese and ranch dressing), so the text says, "Come get your picture taken with Santa Claus tonight and tomorrow night only!"

I said, "Pete, guess who's at the grocery store? Santa Claus!" (Well if you don't know, my husband doesn't like Santa Claus). I kind of caught myself mid-sentence realizing he wasn't going to share my excitement that Santa Claus was in town. Pete said, "Now if it was Jesus, we'd definietly go see him and get our picture taken."

That got me thinking. I think I have a problem with Santa Claus.

I never thought twice about it, but now that we have a little one who we want to love Jesus with all her heart, I want to be thoughtful about what we value. So if I'm not careful, I think Christmas would be all about presents, snowmen, jingling bells, and Santa Claus!

Where did Santa Claus come from anyways? And all the trouble trying to keep kids "believing" that Santa Claus is real and then when they find out He isn't...then the tears come.....

I know there must be a good story out there about where He came from, but I just think Jesus' birth story takes the cake. It's His birthday anyways, isn't it? I mean, when it's my birthday, I want people to celebrate me. (I know that sounds selfish, so please forgive me) but you get my point. So, where did Jesus get lost in the holiday festivities? It seems so hard to keep the focus on Him amist all the Santa-craziness.

So, I want Olivia to grow up knowing that Christmas isn't all about Santa Claus or presents or any other holiday gimick they throw at us. I want it to be about Jesus, His birth, His life and His love for us. I want to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and give presents to share His love with others.

So, I think we'll pass on getting our picture with Santa Claus this year....I think we'll go worship Jesus instead.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Great post! Having kids now sure does make you double think everything huh? Boy I have had quite the time trying to suggest changing some things around Christmas! I too get so caught up in the holiday that I don't feel like I'm celebrating Jesus very well. I passed on all the Santa stuff this year too. I so badly want our little ones to know and celebrate the real reason, Jesus. Hope you are having a wonderful day today celebrating Him! He is such a good God! And I thank Him for you and your family!! Blessings to ya'll!

Cindy said...

I'm a little late on reading blogs these days, but I say hold to your guys, girl! We never did the Santa thing. Partly the whole material Christmas stuff, but also, I hate Santa Claus theology! "He's making a list, checking it twice..." You know. You get good gifts if you've earned them. Ugh....No no no.

Plus, the Christmas when Emily spent all day saying to us, "Thank you, Mommy and Daddy! Thank you for Baby Wanna Walk! I really wanted her." Oh my goodness. Did I want all that to go to Santa?! :)