Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Season of Transitions

For my sweet 2 year old, this is a season of many transitions. Here's what she's been up to.

1. Becoming a Big Sister - Livvy has done VERY well with this transition. The first week or two, she didn't want to be left out of anything..if Noah was awake, she wanted to be awake, if Noah was taking a bath, she wanted to take a bath, if Noah was wearing socks, she wanted to wear socks and on and on. Since then, she has settled nicely into the role of big sister. She is very gentle with him 99% of the time, gives him lots of kisses and attention and loves him very much. She has done very well with this transition.

2. Going to "school" - Here in Indonesia, kids start going to playgroup around the age of 2. There is a little school just behind our house that some of our friends go to, so we decided Livvy would benefit from more social interaction with other kiddos her age. So, Liv goes everyday M-F from 8-10am. Daddy gets her up and gets her ready for school (he even puts her hair in pigtails-Go Pete!) and then I pick her up at 10am. At first, I think she was overwhelmed by all the other kids, but she enjoys it now. I think it helps that she has had a year of learning Indonesian at our house from our helper, so she is able to understand the teacher and other kids. Also, her best little buddy Clara is in her class, so she is always excited to see her.

3. Using the potty - Tomorrow is the day. I know Liv is still a bit young to potty train, but I REALLY want her potty trained by the time we come home this summer in July. How great would it be to only have 1 kid in diapers!!! So, we're going to give it a shot starting tomorrow. Luckily here we have all tile floors, so we're going to try the "bare buns" method (i just came up with that title, by the way). Accidents will be very easy to clean up so I think the more she can experience the accident the better. I'm not 100% sure she's ready to train - but with the help of Cha-Cha's (Indonesian M&M's), cute little stickers and a great potty, we're going to go for it! Pray for us!!

4. Lastly, the toddler bed - I feel like we should have already done this one, but alas we're still waiting. We couldn't get a toddler bed made in time to switch her before Noah was born and we didn't want to mess up her incredible sleeping habits (the girl doesn't ever wake up in the middle of the night). So we have kept putting it off. So, maybe once we either conquer potty training or give up, we'll switch her to the toddler bed. We also want her in a toddler bed before we come home this summer so that we don't need 2 pack n plays while we travel!

Who knew being 2 was such hard work!??!?!?!

4 comments:

Natalie Ward said...

I'll be praying... keep us updated!!

stephanie said...

praying for all your transitions!

Shannon Evans said...

i didn't know you were taking the potty training leap!! how's it going!??! p.s. I have your brown sugar... bring it by tomorrow

Mike O'Quin said...

Wow...that is a lot of transition when you list it out like that for little Livvy.

I gotta ask..who took that awesome Easter picture at the top of your fam?

Mike O