One little problem. The instruction is in another language. Livvy does go to pre-school here so she is beginning to understand the language, but it just takes a while. And I can't imagine how intimidating walking into a room of 15 other little girls who don't look like you, who just stare at you, who don't speak like you do and who don't understand your question, "what's your name?"
The first time we went, the differences paralyzed her. She didn't want to participate. She was glued to my leg, understandably so. So I let it go. My dreams of having a little ballerina would have to wait. In America, maybe I would push a little more, but living overseas in another culture is a different story.
I needed a bridge. Something to bridge the language barrier. Something to make her feel comfortable venturing out into a sea of dark little faces. And then I thought of it. Clara was going to be in town. You all know Clara, by now. Clara's father is from here, so Clara speaks and understands both languages equally well. Livvy will do anything if Clara is around. So I asked Clara's mom if she could go to ballet class with Olivia. And off they went! See, Clara is more of a ballerina at heart than Olivia is, she was in heaven. She practically lives in her tutu. I knew she would love ballet class. And if Clara loved ballet class, my guess was that Olivia would love ballet class too. And it worked.
They went to ballet class together and enjoyed it! They probably goofed off a little too much together, but the point was that they were having fun, lots of fun. And I took Livvy back this week, without Clara and it was a success. Granted I had to bribe her to stay the whole time, but hey moms gotta do what moms gotta do!
No comments:
Post a Comment