Saturday, March 24, 2012

Nasi Goreng for breakfast

A few months back we were staying at a hotel and we thoroughly enjoy breakfast buffets here in Indo.  They go ALL out - way too many options for one person to enjoy.  One thing different about Indonesia is that they eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I only know of one food that they look at you strange when you order it for lunch or dinner making it mainly a breakfast food. It's called Pecel and it's a mix of steamed vegetables and tempe topped with a peanut sauce. We like it for lunch, but most Indonesians eat it for breakfast. So at this breakfast buffet, they have everything from eggs, bagels, donuts, fruit to fried rice and noodles, warm chicken curries, sweet and sour fish and more things that our western tummies aren't used to eating so early in the morning.

So my son, who sometimes I think is more Indonesian than American LOVES nasi goreng (here's your first language lesson in indonesian - nasi goreng is fried rice). I mean he absolutely loves it.  He is a picky eater and when I can't get him to eat anything else, I will set a bowl of nasi goreng (healthy, I know) in front of him and he scarfs it down.  So much for peanut butter sandwiches. He doesn't even really like macaroni n cheese. I mean, really? Come on kid. So here we were sitting in this amazing breakfast buffet with fresh omelets, crossiants, everything I could want in a breakfast buffet and what does my son end up eating for breakfast?

you guessed it. nasi goreng.

No comments: